CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Not going home. . .

We were supposed to leave the hospital today at noon. We got all packed up and were just waiting for the pediatrician to give us the go ahead. We had suspected that she was getting a little jaundice but were not concerned about it. The dr. showed up and told us that we weren't going home because Isabella's bili levels were too high. He said they would put her in the incubator under the lights and test her again at 6:00. In addition, we had to start supplementing with formula to get her body to push out the stuff. Needless to say, I was not real happy, but didn't really think it was a big deal. To supplement we didn't have to give her a bottle, we just had to tape a little tube to my breast and the formula would come out of that. I wasn't real excited about giving her formula, but at least she was still technically breast feeding.

So at 6:00 they came and took more blood and ran the test. Not only had her levels not gone down, but they had gone up! We aren't going home tonight. They are hooking her up to a third light. Not only that, but we can't even take her out to breast feed, she has to stay under the lights and be fed from a bottle. I can pump and not feed her formula, but I'm devastated, because I'm worried that she won't be able to go back to breast feeding. She was doing so well and we were both enjoying it. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure everything will be fine, I'm just going stir crazy. I do know of all the things that can happen to newborns this is the best of them all.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

hey- don't worry about the bottle feeding. With both of my girls I never had enough, so I had to suppliment with the bottle. Babys' seem to prefer the breastmilk so much more that it doesn't seem to be much of a problem going back and forth, just make sure they have the right bottle (aVent, etc) . Good luck- and congrats! PS- sorry its so long.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo!!! I haven't been on for awhile so it was a HUGE baby surprise! I am sooo happy and excited for you. I can not believe you pushed that baby out. You are a superstar for sure! She is so beautiful, Holly. Good for you Momma.
Don't worry about your little one, I am sure that she will be just fine. I know what you mean about worrying well, about everything. I am exactly the same way, especially at the beginning. Relax, it will be fine and just try and enjoy her. Oh!! Give her a big kiss and hug for me. :)

Renee Vin Paul Brian said...

The babies really need the food to get help get the bili number down, weather from you or a bottle. She will go right back to the breast, you'll see. Just a little bump in the road before you go home. Hopefully tomorrow her numbers will have improved and you'll be homebound!

Unknown said...

Holly, when we had Gavin he was life flighted from Logan to Denver. I never got a chance to even try to breastfeed him. I had to pump for almost 2 months, I tell you this not to discourage you but to tell you he went right back to breast, and was the best one of our three.
Our 11 week old (Payton) was in the hospital for a week and was a bit funny about getting back to the breast but we just kept working as a team (me and baby) and it came around and he is doing great now. Try to stay patient and just love her to pieces, it will work out for the two of you. Your family is so sweet. It just became more beautiful than before. Congrats again!
How are YOU feeling, are you up and walking around yet? Take it easy while she is still there and use the time to try to get things a bit more organized at home and throw in a few more naps because those will revolve around her.
Being a mom rocks. You and Frank will do great.